How do i keep groundhogs away from my cats? Keeping groundhogs away from cats is chiefly achieved by understanding the groundhog’s dietary habits. They prefer to eat fresh vegetables and fruit, so if you have a garden or backyard where you spend most of your time, it’s a good idea to keep a watchful eye on what they might be after.
When they do stray into yards where there are pets at play, the easiest way to scare them away may just be to throw rocks in their direction or have some other noisemaker that will put them off from coming back!
Read Also: Is Dragon’s Blood Incense Safe For Cats?
How to keep groundhogs away from cats
It’s best to feed them as much as they are going to eat. Don’t give them free access to your garden, feed them inside. The best way to keep groundhogs away from cats is first of all, not to give them groundhog food in the first place. Exclude the animal from having anything they can use as a source of nutrition. In most cases, that’s just throwing out their leftover food.
If you do happen to see the critter in your backyard or garden eating vegetables, make sure that you put any fruit or vegetables back in their place before you forget about it and then go out for the day. Then the groundhog will certainly find their way back to eat their tasty tidbits once again, but you won’t have to worry about your cats getting into trouble because of it.
It’s also a good idea to make sure that your yard isn’t littered with food scraps and other bedding that is left out; this may accidentally attract groundhogs. They would rather hunt for fresh food sources anyway, so if a couple of leaves fell on your lawn, don’t worry about it. Just get rid of that dirty old bag or bowl full of debris and then work on getting those pesky critters away from the area.
You can use some dog repellents around your property to help keep them off at night. This is especially effective if you have a dog who has befriended the groundhog and they are both sleeping in the same yard. They may be friends, but they usually won’t get along with each other very well.
If you do have a cat who is friendly with the groundhog, there are things that you can do to help keep groundhogs away from your cat. The first thing that you should do is make sure that he doesn’t feel threatened by this animal.
10 ways to keep groundhogs away from cats
Groundhogs are found in many places, but for the most part there is a fairly simple way to keep them off your property or out of your yard. There are many things that you can do to keep groundhogs away from cats, but you want to make sure that they will be safe and not injure themselves during the process.
- Set Groundhog Cat Traps – This is the easiest thing that you can do if you want to keep groundhogs away from cats. These traps are designed specifically for groundhog removal, so they work quite well when trying to make sure that none of them return.
- Purchase Anti-Groundhog Repellants – There are many different chemicals on the market that will make it uncomfortable for the groundhogs to be on your property, so making use of these products can help keep them away from your yard.
- Use Groundhog Scramblers – These devices work great by simply emitting a noise that will scare the groundhogs off your property.
- Use Groundhog Snares – This is by far the most effective and efficient way to get rid of groundhogs. While it takes time, using these on your property will give you a better chance of keeping them away from cats.
- Make Your Property Uninviting – There are some things that you can do around the outside of your house to make sure that the groundhogs know that they shouldn’t be there. You can spray vegetation with a scent that the animals are not likely to appreciate and this will cause them to stay away.
- Predators – This is one of the best ways to keep groundhogs away from cats. You can use birdhouses and decoys in order to attract some predators that will scare away the unwelcome visitors. Some companies sell predator urine as well, which creates a bad scent for them to sort of mark your property and make it feel like a no-go zone for these animals.
- Use Groundhog Bait – This works if you have groundhogs that are already in traps or just living on your property already. You can use food bait in order to lure the critters into a trap where they can be relocated or exterminated.
- Hire a Humane Wildlife Trapper – If you prefer to not use any chemicals or other harmful methods, you can always hire a professional trap setter to take care of your problem for you.
- Spray Hickory Smoked Pest Repellent – Many people like to make use of products that are made by Hickory Smoked. This product is a repellent that will help keep the groundhog’s away, and it also works on mice, gophers and voles as well.
- Spread Rock Salt – This is one way to keep the groundhogs away from your property and also to help keep them safe from injury by not putting at risk their lives by trying to find a way around the salt.
Rad Also: What To Do If A Scorpion Stings My Cat?
What smell do groundhogs hate?
Just because they are cute and furry doesn’t mean that they are harmless. Groundhogs are known to get into trouble by worrying livestock and eating absolutely anything. They make a great nuisance to have on your property, but if you make use of the methods listed above, you will be able to keep them away from your cat!
This article will give you tips on how to keep groundhogs away from cats safely. One of the most important ways to protect your cat is to make sure that the critters can’t get into their garden or house. Some groundhogs are friendly with people and will even come up to them for pets and handouts.
These people aren’t going to be too safe if you are doing anything that can help keep groundhogs away from cats. You have to keep in mind that they may be friendly, but they don’t always stay as such once they settle in a home.
Having groundhogs on your property can really make it unpleasant for house cats, since they will run right over them in order to get into the houses. In most cases, you won’t see the cats themselves trying to chase the groundhogs away. You will have to make sure that the cats are given a safe environment, so they can feel comfortable in their own yard or home.
This is not really a very healthy or appealing way to live, but that is what these animals tend to do. The groundhogs will just keep getting into your yard and eating everything they find without any regard for who’s property they’re on. In many cases, it’s even more dangerous than it may seem.
On how to keep groundhogs away from cats, it’s best to try and get rid of these furry creatures as quickly as you can so that you don’t have to deal with them for too long at a time. The smell which groundhogs hate to perceive can be found in certain plants and herbs.
These will deter the animal from getting too close to your cats. You can get rid of groundhogs yourself, however, you should use some deterrents and repellents so that the process goes more smoothly.
Repellants are great for when you actually have a groundhog on your property. They are also great for keeping them away from areas that you don’t want them on. There are a lot of different repellents which may work for you though, it depends on how many groundhogs there are around and what kind of critter they will be chasing or attacking.
Repellants such as coyote urine and predator urine can be used to distract the groundhogs from the areas that you want to protect. The smell will keep them away.
The other option for repelling groundhogs is by creating an environment that they don’t feel safe in or where they don’t feel comfortable enough to stay for long periods of time. You can spray chemicals that are not dangerous, and even natural stuff like hot pepper spray so that the groundhogs will be forced out of your yard and off your property, which is a much safer place for pets to live.
There are a lot of products on the market that you can buy, which will make use of groundhog urine or other scents to drive them away from your property. In general, these get rid of the problem by giving cats a sense that they are not wanted in certain places and they need to go find another place to live.
There are different kinds of deterrents and repellents though, so using more than one option may be helpful too.
Using the methods and tips listed above, you will be able to keep groundhogs away from your cat easily. It is important to know what works for your particular situation and for the specific groundhog population around you. If you do find that you have groundhogs taking over your property, the best thing to do is to get rid of them.
In some cases, this can be a long and frustrating process that can take a lot of time and money. However, it really is worth it if you’re able to keep them away as they will not just make a mess of your yard but also eat everything in sight.