Cats and dogs may seem like the perfect pair of friends, but in reality, your furry companion may not be as hygienic as you might think. Are cats truly cleaner than dogs? This article will explore just how ‘hygienic’ cats really are and why it’s worth considering adopting a pup instead.”
Cats can suffer from all sorts of diseases that their dog counterparts don’t, such as feline leukemia virus and toxoplasmosis. In fact, toxoplasmosis is one of the most common infectious diseases in cats and the third most common infection that can be spread to human beings. Both are picked up by contact with infected cat feces or, more worryingly, through eating undercooked meat.
Infected cats can also pass on a worm called Toxocara canis to their kittens through their milk as well as infect any children they come into contact with.
Read Also: Are Cats Ticklish? Interesting Facts…
Are cats cleaner than dogs?
So how do cats compare against dogs when it comes to keeping themselves clean?
Despite the fact that dogs have a reputation for being dirty, statistics have shown that they are actually much cleaner than most people think. The average dog spends about 6 hours a day cleaning itself, which means that it spends just as long grooming itself as a cat does.
Since dogs lick themselves clean, they also ingest any germs or dirt that may be on their fur. This is a much healthier way to get rid of germs than simply wiping them away with their paws, which is how cats clean themselves.
Dogs are also able to move things out of their way, trapping any dirt and germs underneath them. However, cats are not as easy to wash, as they can only be washed with a damp cloth. So is this an advantage for the owners? The answer is no, as since cats are unable to clean themselves properly, they often require specialist help in order to remove skin parasites or fleas.
Both dogs and cats can suffer from ear infections – although their ears are very different. Dogs have very big ears that hang down, and so it is easy for dirt and bacteria to get inside them. So dog owners need to clean their pets’ ears regularly which can be a bit unpleasant for all involved.
By contrast, cat’s ears are like little pockets with no opening at the bottom; they have a flap at the top, which allows the entrance of air. Therefore dirt and germs cannot enter their inner ear as easily as in dogs’ ears.
In addition to keeping themselves clean, a dog’s saliva also has strong antibacterial properties and can work as a natural deodorant. This means that dogs are actually cleaner than cats in more ways than one!
Tips for preventing your cat from becoming infected with diseases.
Although many of the risks posed to our cats are out of our hands, there are some simple steps that we can take to prevent infection. These include:
- Keeping your cat indoors – Most diseases that affect cats can be caught on the streets, so confining your cat indoors dramatically reduces their risk of becoming infected. In addition, outdoor cats are more likely to be the target of abuse by humans or other animals.
2, Making sure you feed them a good diet – A well-nourished cat is less likely to come into contact with potentially infectious germs in the first place.
- Getting your cat vaccinated – Even indoor cats are still at risk of catching diseases, so it’s vital to make sure they are up to date with their vaccinations to help protect them from infection.
- Cleaning their litter box frequently – Providing a clean environment for your cat is another way of reducing the risk of them catching diseases. If possible, try to keep as much of the litter box out of sight as possible, and try to collect it every day for cleaning purposes.
- Hiring professionals to clean their litter box – This may not be practical for everyone, but if you can afford it and have enough space in your home to accommodate a professional cleaner then this is the best option when it comes to keeping your cat healthy and happy.
- Avoiding things that can contaminate the cat – Humans cannot catch toxoplasmosis themselves, but we can give it to our cats through contaminated food, soil and water. Avoiding these things helps to keep our cats safe from infection and improves their overall health and well-being.
Overall, it seems that dogs do have one thing over their feline counterparts when it comes to cleanliness- namely that they lick themselves clean. Cats don’t often lick themselves like dogs do, so they aren’t as healthy as we may think. If you are concerned about the cleanliness of your cat, you should consider adopting a dog instead.
Are cats mouth cleaner than dogs?
Now we know and understand the concept of if cats are cleaner and dogs, lets get some knowledge about if cats mouths are cleaner than dogs.
Although cats are more likely to suffer from diseases than dogs, their mouths are just as important as any other part of their bodies. A cat’s mouth is actually cleaner than a dog’s mouth because it has a different type of saliva. This can help you to identify the health of your cat and discover if it is at risk of disease.
A small amount of saliva is secreted by your dog’s salivary glands every time they lick an object, which helps to keep them clean. In contrast, cats do not have these glands, so they cannot produce their own saliva on a daily basis. Instead, they must rely on licking themselves clean every day and getting regular dental checkups from vets.
Read Also: Why Do Cats Smell Your Breath? Read This…
So what can you do if your cat refuses to use their litter box and instead urinates outside it?
1) Move their litter box to a place where they will feel safe – Cats are territorial by nature, so if they feel threatened in any way, they will often avoid going near their litter box. Some ways to keep your cat feeling at home in their litter box include moving it to a quieter area, such as a spare room or the basement, and placing their food bowl nearby.
This should make your cat feel more comfortable using the litter box. Another thing you should do is to clean up after your cat as soon as they have used it. This will let them know that it is safe and gives them the message that going to their litter box is the right thing to do.
Remember that cats are less likely to be harmed by viruses than dogs because they have different immune systems. Cats can, however, sometimes catch cat flu – which is sometimes fatal in cats – so regular veterinary check-ups are a good idea.
If you are looking for a fast way of cleaning your cat’s teeth and gums, you can use a toothpaste specially made for this purpose. Dogs’ teeth need significantly more attention than our own, especially if they don’t brush properly as dogs often have sand or dirt in their mouths, making it difficult for them to clean themselves properly.
Cats can also suffer from gum disease, which can lead to tooth loss. This is a more common problem in cats that have matted hair around their neck and face, because their hair is continually rubbing against the teeth and gums when they lick themselves.
If you notice your cat’s teeth or gums are starting to discolour or feel sore or tender, then you should contact the vet immediately because this could be a sign of an infection.
Ways to keep your cat clean
We should only focus on if cats are cleaner than dogs but also how to keep pour feline friend clean. It’s no secret that cats are slobbier than dogs, but this doesn’t mean that they need to be a mess. Cats can be cleaned and maintained in the same way as any other type of pet, so there is no need to worry if you don’t have the time or inclination to clean them yourself.
Although cats enjoy being dirty, they certainly don’t need to be dirty all the time. There are simple and inexpensive ways of making your cat feel at home while they get groomed by a professional. Here are some of the best ways to keep your cat clean:
- Hiring a professional groomer – most grooming salons will clean your cat for a small fee. This is especially useful if you have an aging pet that needs regular grooming, or if you cannot physically be there to do it yourself. In many cases, you can even book your appointment online and pay over the phone.
- Getting them a scratching post – this will make sure that they are not damaging your furniture or carpets by scratching them so much. If you want to take this approach, then it’s better to give them something sturdy like sisal than carpeting or thin cardboard because they can get their claws stuck in these materials and damage their nails.
- Purchasing a cat bath – this is a strange piece of kit for anyone who has never seen one before, but it’s essentially a bath with no water in it. You fill it with dry food instead, and pretend to leave your cat some food if they get inside the bath. It gives them the chance to eat some tasty treats while they are getting clean and you can do this as often as you like since it’s great for your cat’s oral health.
Cats and dogs are a lot more similar than we may think. They both need regular grooming to keep their fur healthy and clean, which can be done either at home or by a professional groomer.
All pets need basic hygiene care, so they don’t get infections or diseases that could leave them feeling uncomfortable. Because of this, don’t be shy to take your pets to the vet if they are acting strangely or getting sick when they use their litter box, because there is probably a problem with their health.
The choice between a dog and a cat can be difficult to make as both types of pet are popular and both have their benefits. However, if you are looking for a pet that is more similar to you, then choose a cat. If you want one that is more energetic and active, then go for the dog. They are both entertaining pets to have in your life and they offer different benefits so it’s up to you to choose which one will suit your lifestyle best.